18 December 2007

Good & Bad News on the Bus

BAD On the way to choir rehearsal I left my handmade mittens on the bus. They were the second pair I’d ever crocheted and were made of this awful, awful acrylic bouclé yarn which I loathe, but they were mine and they kept my hands relatively warm. Let us now pause for a moment of silence in remembrance of my wonky grey mittens.

GOOD Last week, on the way from choir practice I finished Em-hijabi’s blanket. The one I worked on on the road to nowhere . That I finished it is no great feat. The impressive part is that when I got home I wove in all the ends. I have only once in my life ever woven in ends on the same day I finished knitting a project. Part of the reason I have so many UFOs is because I don’t get around to that last chore: weaving in the ends. Don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I’m thrilled. Maybe this will be the start of a new trend.

As for the blanket, it was made of variegated worsted weight acrylic yarn. Em-hijabi, a friend and colleague, had started learning how to crochet a year or so ago, but it didn’t stick. When she fell in love and decided to move to the UK she gave me her bag of yarn. Lovely color, but since I’m trying to reduce the stash, I promised her a baby blanket. I doubt she’s pregnant now, but considering that all her friends seem to be chasing after toddlers, she’ll probably soon join that club. This is an advance gift for that as-yet-unconceived baby.

The specs for this project can be found here.

No comments: