Apparently this morning I woke up in a finishing mood because I finished the sweaters you see below. I don’t know what bit me, but I’m glad it did because it brings me a couple steps closer to fulfilling knitting resolution 6.
cotton baby sweaters
yarn: Mandarin Soft 100% cotton
needles: 3.5 mm/US 4
comments: These were knit in 2005, but didn’t get ends woven in and the buttons added until today. It should fit an average five-month-old. These weren’t made for any specific baby, but that’s okay, because all I have to do is wait five minutes before I get a call from (yet another) one of my friends saying that she’s pregnant.
Although the yarn has an English-sounding name, the whole label is in Norwegian. I got it at a yarn swap where everyone brought in yarn that they didn’t want and put it on tables and then went “shopping” for yarn that others had brought. It was great fun. This cotton makes a very nice garment, but it can be a pain in the neck to knit with because it’s very splitty (the yarn is made up of 15 individual little threads). Notice that the white/blue sweater has seed stitch where the pink/blue sweater has ribbing. The hat was made from the leftovers.
striped baby sweater
yarn: worsted weight acrylic
needles: 4.5 mm/US 7
comments: In 2005 I was in a baby sweater knitting frenzy and it was all about the process, not the product, so I only just got around to sewing the pieces together, weaving in the ends and attaching the buttons. This one is going to RJ’s baby brother, who will soon be turning six months.