07 April 2008

My First Major Lace Project

















Who knew I would fall madly in love with an isosceles triangle?

yarn: Patons Kroy Sock, 75% wool 25% nylon, 2 skeins each of Flax (light brown) and Hickory (dark brown)
needles: 4.5 mm/US 7
pattern: Nancy Wiseman’s Lavender Linen Shawl
comments: The pattern suggested eleven repeats. I only made ten because I ran out of yarn. I almost went out and bought one more ball, but decided not to. Good thing, too, because it doubled in size upon blocking. I was pleasantly surprised.

I did not plan for this to be a two-color shawl, but the color I’d begun with was discontinued, so I went on with a second color. At first I was worried that it would look odd, but I showed it to a few friends and they especially liked the two-color feature.

This project was challenging, satisfying and it helped me become better at reading my knitting. It also changed the way I purl (I was a combination knitter). I enjoyed every bit of it. Even near the end when the rows got really long. The absolute best part was when I blocked it after soaking it. Pure magic. Once it dried I danced around, tried it on with a few dresses, then danced around some more. Can’t wait to make another one!

Whiskers was there when I bound off the last stitch. She tried it on so I could see how it looked and was a great encourager and cheerleader. I’m telling you, she was almost as excited as I was. It’s so important to have friends who understand and support our fiber madness. Thank you, Whiskers!

Meausrements: The base of the triangle = 90 in/228 cm. The height of the triangle = 43 in/109 cm.

[photo 1: the beginning, photo 2: shawl drying, photo 3: close-up of colors, photo4: finished, but unblocked]

No comments: