25 February 2008

Will you make me a hat/sweater/etc.?

This started out being part of the previous post, but when I began writing the response I realized that it required its own post. Most of my public knitting and crocheting is done on the bus or subway. I usually sit near the front of the bus. Invariably, bus drivers will strike up a conversation with me. Sometimes they flirt and want to exchange telephone numbers (not happening). Half the time they will ask, “Will you make me a hat/sweater/et cetera?” I usually say, “Sorry, I don’t have the time.” And that’s the end of that.

The last time a bus driver asked me to make him something was two days ago. His exact question was, “When you gonna make me a sweater?” It took me a moment to formulate an appropriate answer. You see, homeboy weighs at least 400 pounds (almost 200 kg). I wanted to say, “Where do you get off? Have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately? You could blow one week’s salary just on the purchase of the yarn.” Instead I said, “I only knit for myself and for my friends’ babies.” His response? “I’ll be your baby, if that’s what it takes.” I couldn’t help it, I laughed out loud in his face.

No comments: