20 December 2007

The Marvels of Facebook (part 2 of 2)

There is a guy who developed a crush on me last year. I never gave him a chance because he’s 20 and I’m in my 30’s. I don’t mind younger men, but five years is my limit, and the age difference between us is much more than that. I mean really, the year I graduated from university he was probably in kindergarten. “Age ain’t nothing but a number,” he says. Yeah, whatever.

This autumn he sent me an e-mail inviting me to his network of friends on Facebook. Although I’d ignored several invitations to join social networking services from others before, this time I decided to go ahead and do it. As expected, I didn’t know any of his friends. However, I did find one of my former piano students through one of his friends’ networks, which was nice. I didn’t do much else with Facebook after that.

Two days ago I received a one-line message through Facebook that read “Did you visit Vienna during the late 1990s?” It was Fola! I was shocked. It turns out she did a search for me in Facebook and found my name. Although there was no photo (haven’t uploaded one yet), she went out on a limb and sent the message. How cool is that? To reconnect after ten years! I am really looking forward to this new-old friendship.

No comments: